What is eNTERFACE?
eNTERFACE (official website) are a series of summer workshops organized once every year since 2005. They aim at gathering specialists along with students (both PhD and Master) in the broad field of human-machine interaction. For 4 weeks, they will have to work on pre-specified, innovative projects in that field. The particularity of the workshop resides in the fact that a very particular collaborative environment is set up for its whole duration. It will give researchers the opportunity to integrate their software tools, deploy demonstrators, collect novel databases, and work side by side with a great number of experts.
The eNTERFACE was initiated by the FP6 Network of Excellence SIMILAR. After the completion of SIMILAR, the workshop continued to attract wide interest under the aegis of the OpenInterface Foundation.
It was organized by Faculté Polytechnique de Mons (Belgium) in 2005, University of Zagreb (Croatia) in 2006, Bogaziçi University (Turkey) in 2007, CNRS-LIMSI (France) in 2008, University of Genova (Italy) in 2009, University of Amsterdam (The Netherlands) in 2010, University of West Bohemia (Czech Republic) in 2011, Metz Supélec (France) in 2012, New University of Lisbon (Portugal) in 2013, University of Basque Country (Spain) in 2014, Université de Mons (Belgium) in 2015, University of Twente (Netherlands) in 2016 and Universidade Catolica Portuguesa (Portugal) in 2017.
How does it work?
- Experienced researchers are invited to propose research projects to be undertaken by a few people (5-10) during 4 weeks. The proposal should explain what to do, how many people are necessary, profile of these people, etc.
- Once the projects have been supervised and approved by the technical committee, they are listed on the present website.
- Then there is a call for participation: students/researchers from all around the world send their CVs and choose the project they prefer according to their expertise or interest.
- Teams are built by the project leaders in cooperation with the organizers according to the preferences of the students/researchers and their suitability for the project.
- Finally, the team members come to Louvain-la-Neuve and spend four wonderful and productive weeks together.
eNTERFACE’18 will take place at Ecole Polytechnique de Louvain, Université catholique de Louvain, Louvain-la-Neuve.